Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Report on "Unpaid Furlough Week: Day 1" by Ben Randell

Yesterday was the first official unpaid day of the furlough week which my employer instituted to save $450,000. Since I don't have a supervisor this week, I feel the need to report back to the general public about my time of not making money.

I got up when our walking talking alarm clock woke me around 7:45 am. I heard stifled giggling and felt something touching my nose. I opened my eyes to see Cora touching her nose to mine and staring into my eyes. I guess that's what I get for sleeping so close to the edge.

Kim and I took Cora to school and had a quick meeting with the director of the school. On the way home, I talked Kim into stopping by the donut shoppe. That took about 2 seconds. After ordering, I realized cash was in my other pants. We were sent away with two donuts and a "shiny pink" cupcake for Cora. After eating my donut, I took the dog on a walk to burn and pay for our empty calories. Snapped a few pictures of lawn ornament Virgin Marys. (Kim's wanting to keep an eye on the neighborhood Marys, to make sure they don't get out of hand I guess.)


This one is watching over a couple of trics



This one seemed kind of bored standing by the roses and staring at a wall.



She has some company.



She has a little protection if it rains.



Lucy really liked this sign. I didn't even notice it. Didn't think it was talking to me.

I'm fixing the back fence this week, so I went to Lowe's and got my supplies:
  • 1 Wheelbarrow
  • 12 - 40lb bags of Sakrete brand concrete
  • 4 - 8 foot posts


I got home and put the wheelbarrow together before mowing the lawn in preparation for a house showing we had at 5:15.



I also cleaned up a bit in the house. When the showing rolled around, we took Lucy on walk number two for the day (probably a sign of the end times in her own eschatology). It was a good walk when it started.



Nanna was fine in the stroller, but began to ram herself into things. Cora gave her repeated stern talking to's to no avail. In short order, Cora quickly became tired and needed Kim to carry her. I was put on stroller duty. Cora perked right up when she saw the "steeps" she likes to climb.



I was ready for a sit down and took the opportunity to spy on the people looking at our house down the block.

They were leaving by the time we got back. After a meal of Mac&Cheese, cucumber salad and
brocolli chop Cora finally got her cupcake.



Alright!!!!

Cora and Kim went upstairs for the bath and I worked on the floor trim in the kitchen.



After Cora's bedtime, Kim and I looked at houses online, watched an episode of "Flight of the Conchords," and went to bed to rest up for Tuesday. You know what they say about unpaid furlough? "Another day, another ______."

End of report...up next: "Report on Unpaid Furlough Week: Day 2" by Ben Randell



Posted via email from bgrandell's posterous

No comments: